Thanks God! It was Peugeot 308T

| |
Even though I knew that Peugeot 308T had a long list of safety features, I was never really impressed compare to its own outstanding handling and road-holding until I experienced myself the life savers that it had.

My first experience was while doing downhill duel with a proton Waja 1.8 around Bukit Tinggi/Berjaya Resorts. Knowing I was behind looking for an opportunity to overtake, this bugger responded even though we were approaching a slippery right-turn curve. He seemed to be an experience driver but he pushed the the Lotus Tuned Suspension Car to the limits until it over-steered with rear tyres skidded sideways [or fish-tailed] and ended in the monsoon drain. While maneuvering to avoid a collision, Peugeot 308T tyre adhesion and dynamics were also at their limits. I thought I was on a boat. At a flick of a second the ESP light started to flash and the car regained its course and negotiated in the direction it was intended.

Everybody who drives on federal roads to or from East Coast states will normally experience trailing long Qs behind slow vehicles. Driving any car with ample torque [and low kg/bhp ratio] no one is patience enough because overtaking a Q of vehicles on a straight stretch is a breeze. But be careful! what if a car or two in the Q suddenly change lane and appear in front of u for the same purpose? Worse still when they make a sudden right turn? Almost everybody will involuntarily hit the brake. I had this experience with my308 too. The cars sensed an emergency braking and EBA [Emergency Braking Assist] took over by braking to the max and at the same time hazard light turned on. In the process ABS also came into play.
P1090993a
Last weekend I was driving back from Kelantan in heavy rain. As usual I had a bad habit of diving the same speed whether it was raining or dry, sometimes even faster when it drizzled or rained. While I was overtaking at a gentle curve I hit a long pool of water, suddenly I felt jerky as if the engine was switched OFF and ON a few times until the traction was regained. It was actually a combine effort of ASR, ESP and DSC that saved my family and my life...
P1090994a
The following are the dynamic safety features that Peugeot 308T have and proven their effectiveness. Ive tested involuntarily and w/o intention.

EBD - Electronic Brake Distribution
EBA - Emergency Brake Assist
ASR - Traction Control
ESP - Electronic Stability Program [watch video]
DSC - Dynamic Stability Control [watch video]
ABS - Antilock Braking System [watch video]

Almost all new cars are now equipped with ABS. But it is important to remember that ABS will not shorten stopping distance, in fact it can extend beyond that of threshold braking in a non-ABS equipped car. ABS is mainly for an emergency situation to prevent brake lock-up in order to maintain steering control to steer clear of an obstacle thus avoid collision. Do not attempt to modulate the brake - the ABS system will take care of the modulation. For cars without EBA however, to correctly use the ABS brakes in a panic situation, the driver must apply the brakes 100 percent, using all available force and steer accordingly.

Happy Motoring and always...
Berhati2 dJalan Raya


|Home|Fuel Consumption|Performance|uncles DIY|Car Size Comparison|

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment